Mrs. T and I resumed our planning today. We spent the bulk of our time figuring out how to invert The Epic Research Project and Book Paper. See, this is the way that worked: I taught about colonialism in Africa, then students did research projects about what happened following independence in a particular country (ie- the civil wars in Sudan), read a book set during those events (ie- They Poured Fire On Us from the Sky), and wrote a paper about its themes. And that was good, but we can do better. We asked the research questions, we told them the themes to look for, and that should be on them.
I already wrote that we added more books. We’re going to start with reading, and book talking in class, and have students identify themes in their books (and ones their classmates’ books share). Then they’ll write papers. Then they’ll propose something to research further, and create presentations to share, and I’ll schedule them around my own teaching about post-colonialism. So, my lessons and their projects will compliment each other.
Or so I hope! We’ll see how it goes.
The later units were easier to get down because we aren’t changing much. We’ve got the basics through April, and will finish next time we meet, most likely!